Friday, January 6, 2012

Post Number One

So this is exciting.  I've always wanted to have a place to share my thoughts about anything and everything.  I don't know if anybody at all out there in the world will care what I have to say, but I'm going to try to force myself to post at the very least every other day whether I want to or not.

I meant to start doing this at the very beginning of our show choir season to chronicle all of the hard work that goes into preparing a top-notch competition show choir set.  I'm afraid Glee has made it seem that the shows are just hastily thrown together based on whatever drama the members happen to be dealing with that week.  Are any other musicians that watch that show amazed at how they walk in, hand out music, and every single high school kid in the group just nails their part on the first try without pounding any notes?  Trust me....that never happens.  There is about five percent of most high school choirs that can sight read with any sort of proficiency.  A lot of them can get it after hearing it a couple of times, but there is a pretty significant number of high school musicians that never bother to read music past basic stuff like "the notes get higher as they go up the scale."

Anyway, my sons and I are trekking up to Viterbo University in Lacrosse, Wisconsin tomorrow morning to watch the first major show choir competition in this area.  I'm very excited to get to see a few of the top groups from Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.  Check back here tomorrow or Sunday for my take on the competition.  Maybe if it looks well run I can talk Mr. Brimeyer (Urbandale's vocal music director) into taking our varsity show choir there next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment